Know the Signs and Symptoms
Meningitis is an infection of the protective membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord.
It can affect anyone, but is most common in babies, young children, teenagers and young adults.
Symptoms may include:
- Fever, cold hands and feet
- Drowsy or difficult to wake
- Confusion and irritability
- Severe muscle pain
- Pale, blotchy skin with spots/rash
- Severe headache
- Stiff neck
- Dislike of bright lights
- Convulsions / seizures
How to Perform the Meningitis Glass Test
- Press the side of a clear glass firmly against the skin
- Spots/rash may fade at first
- Keep checking
- Fever with spots/rash that do not fade under pressure is a medical emergency
- Do not wait for a rash. If someone is ill and getting worse, get medical help immediately!
Meningitis can be very serious if not treated quickly. You should call 999 immediately if you see any of the symptoms mentioned above
We are proud to say that we have recently been awarded the ‘Meningitis Aware Recognition Mark’ by Meningitis Now which recognises that our staff are trained to know the signs and symptoms of the disease and they know what to do if a child falls ill.